2006 – Doctor of Science (Geography), Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences
1993 – PhD, soil geography & geochemistry of landscapes, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences
1981 – Graduated as certified specialist, physical geography, Moscow State University
Professional positions held
1993-present – Head, Department of Soil Geography and Evolution, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences
1986-1993 – Scientific Researcher, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences
1981-1986 – Junior Scientific Researcher, Institute of Geography, Russian Academy of Sciences
Present research/professional speciality
Global geography of soils; genesis, evolution and ecology of soil covers; processes in natural and anthropogenically-changed soils; role of soils and soil processes in origin and functioning of eco- and geosystems; soils of cold environments; soil classification of Arctic and Antarctic
Russian North, Urals, Russian Plain, Siberia and Far East, Arctic and Antarctic
Professional distinctions and memberships
Chair of the V commission “Soil genesis, geography and classification” in Dokuchaev Soil Science Society
2018-present: Vice-Chair of the Commission 1.2. (Soil Geography) of the International Union of Soil Science
2010-present: member, Working group on the Universal Soil Classification, IUSS;
2006-2010 Vice-Chair, IUSS Commission 1.3 Soil Genesis;
1998-2006: Co-chair of the working group “Cryosols” in the International Permafrost Association and in the International Union of Soil Science
1981-present: Dokuchaev Soil Science Society membership, since 2008 – Chair, Commission on Soil Genesis, Geography and Classification, since 2013 – Vice-President;
2001-2002 Fulbright Program Scholarship – National Soil Survey Center, Lincoln, NE, USA
1989: Young Scientist Summer Program, International Institute for Applied System Analysis (IIASA), Laxenburg, Austria
S. V. Goryachkin. 2010. Soil Cover of the North (Patterns, Genesis, Ecology, Evolution). Moscow: Publishing house GEOS. 414 p. (In Russian with the extended English summary)
V.O.Targulian, S.V.Goryachkin (eds.). 2008. Soil Memory: Soil as a Memory of Biosphere-Geosphere-Anthroposphere Interaction. Moscow. 692 p. (In Russian with the extended English introduction and summary)
Peer-reviewed papers and chapters
- Goryachkin S.V., Karelin D.V., Dolgikh A.V., Lyuri D.I., Shishkov V.A., Zazovskaya E.P. The Role of Anthropogenic Activities in CO2 and CH4 Emission from Soil to Atmosphere in Polar Regions of East Europe. In: Proceedings of the 1st Pan-Eurasian Experiment (PEEX) Conference and the 5th PEEX Meeting. Report series in aerosol science Finnish Association for Aerosol Research FAAR. 2015. P. 167-171.
- Mergelov NS, Shorkunov IG, Targulian VO, Dolgikh AV, Abrosimov KN, Zazovskaya EP, & Goryachkin SV. 2016. Soil-like Patterns Inside the Rocks: Structure, Genesis, and Research Techniques. In: Frank-Kamenetskaya OV, Panova EG, Vlasov DY, editors. Biogenic-Abiogenic Interactions in Natural and Anthropogenic Systems. Springer International Publishing, p. 205-222
- S. Lessovaia, S. Goryachkin, Yu. Polekhovsky, V. Ershova and A. Filimonov. 2016. Abiotic and biotic processes of mineral weathering in tundra soils on ultramafic and mafic rocks of the Polar Urals, Russia In: Frank-Kamenetskaya OV, Panova EG, Vlasov DY, editors. Biogenic-Abiogenic Interactions in Natural and Anthropogenic Systems. Springer International Publishing, p.223-236.
- Mergelov N.S., Shorkunov I.G., Dolgikh A. V., Shishkov V.A., Zazovskaya E.P., Targulian V.O., Goryachkin S.V. Endolithic and hypolithic soil-like systems: structure and composition from the macro- to submicro-levels, Byulleten Pochvennogo instituta im. V.V. Dokuchaeva, 2016, Vol. 86, pp. 103-114. doi: 10.19047/0136-1694-2016-86-103-114.
- Sofia N. Lessovaia, Michael Ploetze, Svyatoslav Inozemzev, and Sergey Goryachkin. Traprock transformation into clayey materials in soil environments of the Central Siberian Plateau, Russia. Clays and Clay Minerals, 2016, Vol. 64, No. 5, P. 668–676.
- Irina Kovda, Sergey Goryachkin, Marina Lebedeva, Natalia Chizhikova, Anatoly Kulikov, Nimazhap Badmaev. Vertic soils and Vertisols in cryogenic environments of southern Siberia, Russia. Geoderma 288 (2017). P. 184–195.
- Targulian V. O., Mergelov N. S., Goryachkin S. V. Soil-like bodies on Mars // Eurasian Soil Science. — 2017. — Vol. 50, no. 2. — P. 185–197.
- Zazovskaya, E., Mergelov, N., Shishkov, V., Dolgikh, A., Miamin, V., Cherkinsky, A., & Goryachkin, S. (2017). Radiocarbon Age of Soils in Oases of East Antarctica. Radiocarbon, 59(2), 489-503. doi:10.1017/RDC.2016.75
- D. V. Karelin, S.V. Goryachkin, A. V. Kudikov, V. O. Lopes de Gerenu, V. N. Lunin, A. V. Dolgikh, D. I. Lyuri. Changes in carbon pool and CO2 emission in the course of postagrogenic succession on gray soils (Luvic Phaeozems) in European Russia. Eurasian Soil Science. (2017) 50: 559-572. doi:10.1134/S1064229317050076
- Karelin D.V., Goryachkin S.V., Zamolodchikov D.G., Dolgikh A.V., Zazovskaya E.P., Shishkov V.A., Kraev G.N. Human Footprints on Greenhouse Gas Fluxes in Cryogenic Ecosystems. Doklady Earth Sciences, 2017, v. 477, № 2, с. 1467-1469
- Nikita Mergelov, Carsten W. Mueller, Isabel Prater, Ilya Shorkunov, Andrey Dolgikh, Elya Zazovskaya, Vasily Shishkov, Victoria Krupskaya, Konstantin Abrosimov, Alexander Cherkinsky & Sergey Goryachkin Alteration of rocks by endolithic organisms is one of the pathways for the beginning of soils on Earth // Scientific Reports, Nature Publishing Group, 2018. Volume 8. P.1-15. doi: 10.1038/s41598-018-21682-6
- Kalinina, O., Chertov, O., Frolov, P., Goryachkin, S., Kuner, P., Küper, J., Kurganova, I. Lopes de Gerenyu, V., Lyuri, D., Rusakov, A., Kuzyakov, Y., Giani, L. 2018. Alteration process during the post-agricultural restoration of Luvisols of the temperate broad-leaved forest in Russia // Catena, Volume 171, p. 602-612.
- S. V. Goryachkin, N. S. Mergelov, and V. O. Targulian. 2019. Extreme Pedology: Elements of Theory and Methodological Approaches, Eurasian Soil Science, 52 (1), p.1-13.
- Olga Kalinina, Alexander Cherkinsky, Oleg Chertov, Sergey Goryachkin, Irina Kurganova, Valentin Lopes de Gerenyu, Dmitry Lyuri, Yakov Kuzyakov, Luise Giani. Post-agricultural restoration: Implications for dynamics of soil organic matter pools. Catena, Volume 181, October 2019, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2019.104096
- D. A. Nikitin, L. V. Lysak, N. S. Mergelov, A. V. Dolgikh, E. P. Zazovskaya, and S. V. Goryachkin. Microbial Biomass, Carbon Stocks, and CO2 Emission in Soils of Franz Josef Land: High-Arctic Tundra or Polar Deserts? Eurasian Soil Science, 2020, Vol. 53, No. 4, pp. 467–484. DOI: 10.1134/S1064229320040110
- A.V.Lupachev, E.V.Abakumov, S.V.Goryachkin, A.A.Veremeeva. Soil cover of the Fildes Peninsula (King George Island, West Antarctica). Catena,Volume 193, October 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catena.2020.104613
- Dmitry Karelin, Sergey Goryachkin, Elya Zazovskaya, Vasily Shishkov, Alex Pochikalov, Andrey Dolgikh, Andrey Sirin, Gennady Suvorov, Nimazhap Badmaev, Natalia Badmaeva, Yuri Tsybenov, Anatoly Kulikov, Piotr Danilov, Grigory Savinov, Aleksey Desyatkin, Roman Desyatkin, Gleb Kraev. Greenhouse gas emission from the cold soils of Eurasia in natural settings and under human impact: Controls on spatial variability. Geoderma Regional, Volume 22, 2020, e00290, ISSN 2352-0094, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.geodrs.2020.e00290. (http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2352009420300390)